Dental Crowns in Chicago
Also Serving Evanston & Skokie
Revive Your Smile with Dental Crowns: A Comprehensive Guide
If you have a damaged or decayed tooth, dental crowns can be a great restorative dentistry solution. These tooth-shaped caps are placed over your natural tooth to restore its shape, size, and strength.
At Contos Smile Center, Dr. Peter Contos and our team of skilled Chicago dentists are devoted to rejuvenating your smile’s appearance and function with personalized crowns. Read on to learn more and discover why patients in Evanston, Cicero, and Streeterville, IA, trust Dr. Contos with their oral health.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are prosthetic devices designed to cover your natural tooth. Dr. Contos will custom-design your tooth caps to fit naturally and comfortably over your compromised tooth to restore its appearance and function. Porcelain and ceramic crowns are the most popular because they closely mimic the natural look of your teeth.
Types of Dental Crowns
- Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns are the most popular type of dental crown. They’re made of a high-quality dental ceramic that closely mimics the appearance of natural teeth. Porcelain crowns are ideal for restoring front teeth, as they are aesthetically pleasing and blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth.
- Ceramic Crowns: Ceramic crowns are similar to porcelain crowns in terms of appearance, but are made of a different type of dental ceramic. Ceramic crowns are very durable and long-lasting, making them ideal for back teeth that are subject to more wear and tear.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer many benefits, including:
- Restores Teeth Function: Customized tooth caps from Dr. Contos can restore the shape, size, and strength of your teeth, allowing you to chew and bite properly.
- Improves Smile Image: Dental crowns can be used for cosmetic dentistry purposes, such as covering discolored, misshapen, or damaged teeth to give you a natural and beautiful smile.
- Protects Teeth from Further Damage: Tooth crowns protect your weakened or cracked teeth from further damage, preventing extraction.
- Provides a Long-Lasting Solution: Dental crown restorations can last for many years with proper care and maintenance.
Why Do I Need a Dental Crown?
Dr. Contos may recommend dental crowns for various reasons, including:
- A Large Filling: If your tooth has a large filling, a dental crown can help support the remaining tooth structure and prevent it from breaking.
- A Weakened Tooth: If your tooth is weakened due to decay, root canal therapy, or injury, a dental crown can provide added strength and protection.
- A Misshapen or Discolored Tooth: If your tooth is misshapen, discolored, or has a cosmetic flaw, a dental crown can restore its appearance.
- A Broken Tooth: If your tooth is broken or fractured, a dental crown can hold it together and prevent further damage.
The Dental Crown Process
Getting a dental crown usually requires two visits to our Chicago, IL, dental office. Here’s what you can expect during the dental crown process:
- Consultation and Examination: During your first visit, Dr. Contos will examine your teeth and take X-rays to determine if you need a dental crown. He will also discuss the different types of crowns and materials available and help you choose the best option for your needs.
- Preparation: Dr. Contos will prepare your tooth by removing the damaged or decayed portion and shaping it to accommodate the crown.
- Impressions: Next, our dentist in Chicago will take impressions of your teeth using dental putty or a digital scanner. These impressions are sent to a dental lab to create your custom crown.
- Temporary Crown Placement: While your permanent crown is being made, Dr. Contos will place a temporary crown over your tooth to protect it.
- Final Crown Placement: Once your permanent crown is ready, you will return to Dr. Contos’ office for placement. He will remove the temporary crown and cement the permanent crown in place.
Finding a Dental Crown Provider in Chicago
Finding a reliable dental crown provider in Chicago, IL can be a daunting task. Here are a few factors to consider when choosing a dental crown provider:
- Personalized Care
Dr. Contos is a highly experienced dental crown provider who uses the latest technology and techniques to provide personalized care and excellent results. He has a positive reputation in the Chicago community and offers fair and transparent pricing. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and experience the difference that expert dental crown care can make.
Frequently Asked Questions
▼Are dental crowns permanent?
No, dental crowns are not permanent. They can last for many years with proper care and maintenance. The lifespan of a dental crown depends on several factors, including the material used, the patient’s oral hygiene habits, and any underlying dental issues.
▼Is it painful getting a dental crown?
Not at all! Getting a dental crown isn’t painful, as the dentist will use local anesthesia to numb the affected area before the procedure. Patients may experience some discomfort or sensitivity in the days following the procedure. Any soreness can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers.
▼Is it better to get a dental crown or a tooth extraction?
In most cases, it is better to get a dental crown rather than a tooth extraction. A dental crown can help preserve the structure of the tooth and prevent further damage, while a tooth extraction can lead to a range of issues, including difficulty chewing, shifting of teeth, and changes in facial structure. However, there may be some cases where tooth extraction is necessary, such as if the tooth is severely decayed or damaged beyond repair.
▼How much do dental crowns cost?
The cost of dental crowns can vary depending on several factors, including the material used, the complexity of the procedure, and the location of the dental practice. It’s important to check with your dental insurance provider to see if they cover the cost of dental crowns, and to ask your dental provider about payment options or financing plans.
Say Goodbye to Damaged Teeth with Dental Crowns
At Contos Smile Center, Dr. Contos and our team are dedicated to providing our patients with the highest-quality dental crown care in Chicago, IL. If you need a dental crown, our experienced team of dental professionals can help. Contact our office today at (773) 973-0531 to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile!
We are dedicated to providing the highest level of service and quality to our patient community by cultivating strong relationships, communicating thoughtful treatment solutions, and providing an enjoyable atmosphere, we can empower our patients to take ownership of their oral health.
We are committed to researching and offering state-of-the-art dental solutions in order to deliver the most advanced treatment options to our patients.